Friday, November 23, 2012

My Greatest Feat Ever on My Feet

Trekking to 15,300 Feet High


There are 52 mountains that are over 14,000 in Colorado.  I have peaked only one of them, but ever since I signed up for this tour I knew I was going to get up to Khayer Lake.  Eight of us woke up at 5 am for a quick breakfast and an early start from Khopra.  Kaji was our leader today, plus most of the porters joined us as well.  It was a day of rest for them, but they frolicked along with us, racing ahead, going off trails, climbing hills that invited them; all while keeping a watchful eye on us.  I was the oldest of the group and I felt like it. It was not the lack of oxygen as much as it was the trail. It was described as an 11 hour hike round trip, with a 3300 foot rise in altitude, an estimated 10 mile hike.  It took me 5 hours to get there and 4 hours to return. Thanks to John, I never gave up. And believe me, I wanted to many times.  The trek felt like it was straight up, narrow trails, steep rocks, hillside of lose shale and rivers to cross. 





It is early, the sun is rising and it is COLD!

Crossing a stream
An easy part.

Much needed rest time.


Rock climbing

Khayer  Lake

I MADE IT!!!

15,300'   Never been this high with my feet on the ground.

Headed back
These pictures do the trek no justice.  I must have been too focused or too tired to remember to take more pictures. You are just going to have to believe me it was a "one foot in front of the other" kind of day.  And we were back at the round house just after 3.  What a day to remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment